Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day 2 - Buffalo to Reva

I knew that sooner or later Brendan and I would have very differant journeys even though we are running the same route on the same day in the same style. Today our differant journeys started.

This morning I woke up and left Linda and Wally's about an hour before Brendan departed their house. The reason behind that is that I have a nagging ache behind my right knee and knew I would be walking more than Brendan would want to. I felt it starting a little yesterday on the run but its not something that is due to speed, but more prolonged abuse! And as you can assume, 439 miles IS prolonged abuse. Nothing serious but a dull thing that actually has been around for some time. It comes and goes but I decided this morning that if I am going to last 14 days I need to take it easy and play this thing right. In the back of my mind I figured it could be an issue from the get go just didn't know when! One step in front of the other and Minnesota will eventually come!

I ended up walking ALL 24 miles and made pretty good time. I thought Brendan would be coming up on me in no time, within the first 2 hours, however with all his picture taking we ended up keeping almost the same distance apart. Today run, stop, take picture, run, stop, take video, run... actually equaled walking at a fast rate.

Overall this was a pretty good day, we arrived in our destination before 1PM which gave us lots of time to get settled in and get plenty of rest.

Henry and Linda Mohagen have taken us into their home and made was feel like kings today! They have been so kind and cooked us one heck of a meal! It's a long lonely road between here and Baffalo and it feels nice to be in such good company.

The run in the morning should be intersting as there is about 10 miles of contruction. Sounds like both lanes are shut down and the lane to use is a track in the ditch headed up by a pilot car. Hope we can keep up with that pilot car!

Anyways, better stretch some more and get some ice on my knee and hit the hay before long!

Thanks for watching us on the road,

Nolan

PS - Reva is home to the Reva Turtle Races so we actiually fit right in here running with oiur BOBS!

PPS - Brendan will ad his post soon.

Top O' The Morning To YA!! (actually 9:30pm...)

Anyway, I must first give a HUGE thanks to Wally and Linda Stephens in Buffalo...they are truly wonderful and hospitable!

I don't think I've ever seen such a big home and it turns out that they have 3 children and many others- (foster kids, foreign exchange students, they board kids, and also house the biggest kids of all----hunters) Ha Ha

They also own the Nation City News Paper and Wally is a teacher/track coach. I thought it was great when he came to say hi to us on our run and he had Ebony and Abraham (grand kids) and Linda's father (spry 90 year old who by the way, started running late in life- he competed in his first Marathon (Grandma's Marathon at the age of 65!!!) How cool is that?!

My wife was with us again and biked over 35 miles today! Holy Cow Man...and she bucked that nasty wind. She is our hero. We saw beautiful country like the Slim Buttes, which are truly amazing. The Battle of Slim Buttes (check it out in your history books).

Nolan was a bit hurt today and went ahead. We started out the day with an awesome breakfast of fried eggs, great coffee, and pancakes to die for!! Thanks Linda & Wally-

We made it to Reva and are staying with Rev. Mohagen and his wife Linda. They fed us wonder food and visited their friends, Bonnie and Keith Hanson. He has wild turkeys that he feeds in the back yard and you should have seen the Tom that was struttin' around!! He was a monster.

We came back to the Mohagen home and Linda showcased her talents as a vantriloquist!! You better believe it...and she is phenomenal! It was a show for sure- Thanks Linda-

Well, gotta go to bed now, and get up for a 35+ mile day. It's gonna be a long one (probably 7-8 hours) and will arrive to Terry and Mary Haggart's in Bison. I already like Terry cause he is Air Force (I was an old Intel guy once stationed at Ellsworth AFB).

Take care,

...and stay tuned!

Brendan~