Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Day 4: Bison to Coalsprings!











Hey Everyone!!



Nolan and I had a fantastic day to day...We were lucky and fortunate enough to have spent the night at Terry & Mary Haggart's home. They are extremely hospitable and also invited my Uncle John and Uncle Clair to stay as well.

We started out the day by speaking at the Bison School Gymnasium with a wonderfully captive audience. Ages ranged from 6-19yrs. We told the students and faculty why in the world we are running across the ENTIRE STATE for Cancer...and the story is always the same---to help battle Cancer the best way we know how- by running and promoting healthy living while raising money for Cancer research.

It was UNBELIEVABLE how AMAZING the town of Bison truly is!! Thanks to Lola Hedstrom, my good friend, she promoted CHEMO IS HARDER and had the school kids donate their Friday jean day and hat money to our cause. Every quarter that accumulated ended up making a significant contribution...THANKS TO EVERY PERSON IN THAT GREAT SCHOOL---

I met several cancer survivors in that school alone and must say that THEY are our inspiration! Speaking with them made us realize WHY it is so important to continue on making our impact on cancer! I got teary again talking about my dad, but it's OK since I won't every be sorry for my love and admiration I have for him. I think people can relate to that, which makes this journey that much more important on so many levels. Thanks for giving me inspiration---

The day was another HORRIBLY windy day and right in our face (actually wind was again coming 25-30 mph from the South East) Traffic was crazy today cause it seemed as if people were sneakin up on us and swerving out from taking out Nolan several times. These two lane roads don't have shoulders, so we seem to be braving not only the elements, but vehicles as well.

3 miles before we ended our 25 mile day- we stopped in at a country school (called the Progress School). There are 10 students total, from Kindergarden age to 7th grade. There are 2 teachers and 1 aid. We took tons of pics and my favorite is with 3 of the youngest girls and two had their front teeth missing, and the littlest one had a tooth on the bottom missing. They assured me that the Tooth Fairy came and was "very generous".

Tonight, our post is late because we are staying with a wonderful and yet another kind family, The Hendrickson's (Bruce, Dana, Lindsay, Logan, and Layton). They have a beautiful home and wonderful kids. We warmed up to them all right away. Dinner was fantastic (Angus steaks, home made rolls, salad, sweet corn and strawberry shortcake...I know Nolan mentioned it, but WOW). Maybe I won't lose any weight out here on the road!

We are having a blast cause the whole crew and Nolan and I ROCKED OUT and played ROCK BAND!!! It is the coolest game and so much fun! I played the drums, guitar, and I sang...yes...I sang "Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi!!!! Man- I was awesome...Nolan was the man on the guitar and jammin' while Lindsey and her mom sang, Layton crushed the drums, and my man Logan sang his way to glory! Bruce was the talent agent making sure we performed to our potential. And, I have it all on video! HOW COOL-


Take care,

Please stay tuned...
We love all the posts and support from you all!!!
Keep em' coming.


Brendan~
"Make the world a better place than you found it"