Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 3: Reva to Bison


Hey Everyone!



All is great here and we made it 32 miles today from Reva to Bison. We left Reva from Linda and Rev. Henry Mohagen's home around 6:30am after a stellar breakfast...Thank you Henry and Linda for your wonderful hospitality!! You are wonderful people and Linda, thank you for your "talent show" with your ventriloquist skills. Truly amazing!!

The day started out as a chilly, but gorgeous day. As the day progressed...of course we had to content with the wind, and by the end of the day it got up to somewhere around 20+ mph. That is not only tough physically, but it is very mentally draining! But, all in all- we made it.

We hit an area 20 miles into our run with major road construction. It was crazy and one lane with a pilot car would get you in and out. I tried to stay with that old guy, but he proved too fast for me!! I will tell you that it was like running and pushing our carts through a few inches of sand, or "mashed potatoes" as Nolan describes it...he's not far off on that.

Nolan was a bit a head of me again since I am the videographer & picture guy. Just as I was running up to an approach, I see this white car...they pulled out closer to the road and I thought they were locals so I went up to the car to say hi. It was amazing- I hear "Hey, do you know which way Bison is?" I commented, "I hope it's this way" I am only 2 miles from Bison at that moment. As I approached the car, I see two guys, two video cameras and guess who? It was my Uncles John & Uncle Clair from the Twin Cities (500 mile drive just today). What a GREAT surprise!!! Also, just before we got into town we met Dorina who wanted to be the FIRST to welcome us into Bison...and she baked cookies for us!!! Thanks so much.

Well, then we went into Bison, met up with Terry Haggart and went to his home. We went into town and ate at the Prairie Lounge and you have to order the Bacon double cheeseburger---I guarantee you have never seen anything like it!! (And I finished it...)

What a great day. Thanks for tuning in...


Brendan~
"Be an inspiration"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys,
This has been a great and trying day! I just emailed my brother and sister-in-law and told them how everyday it seems you have a wide range of emotions. Sometimes your excited to be on the road, sometimes you wondered how in the heck you got yourself in this situation, other times you hear a good tune on the MP3 player and life is good again. Wild, wild day.
It has been great getting to know Brendan's uncles. What an awesome surprise for both Brendan and I.
I don't to double up on anything Brendan posted so I'll cut this short.
So far so good,
Nolan
PS - Someone put an awesome quote on our guestbook saying "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go". Awesome!
Another quote on the road came from a friends of mine from Sturgis I called when I got cell recpetion..."Keep Smiling." Man did he give me that advice at the right time today. Thanks Randy